Alabama Complaint for Divorce

In Alabama a Complaint for Divorce is a legal document that when filed with the appropriate circuit court initiates a Divorce proceeding with the court.

The Complaint can be filed with the Circuit Court in the county where either spouse has resided if either spouse has been a resident of Alabama for at least six months.

A Complaint for Divorce does not legally dissolve the marriage. To finalize and complete a divorce, a judge must sign a Final Judgment for Divorce. At any time before the judge signs the Final Judgment for Divorce, a Complaint for Divorce may be withdrawn by the spouse who filed the Complaint with the court. Except in cases of domestic violence, no judge can sign a Final Judgement for Divorce until at least 45 days has passed from the time the Complaint for Divorce was filed with the court.